Re: A "heat" question

At 12:36 PM -0700 11/29/02, Jim Green wrote:
we should also abandon Carnot -- Who was a politician's son who
dabbled with the issue of war machines.

Ouch!!!

Well, B. Franklin was generally considered to be a politician (and
diplomat) in his day. Nevertheless, many current scientists look back
at his having been a pretty good objective observer and theoretizer
of things scientific.

In Carnot's cylinder the difference between Q and W (by moving the piston)
is that moving the piston doesn't change the entropy. I don't know of any
other situation where this occurs.

Perhaps when refrigerators, freezers or even Air Conditioners find
there way down to Jim's neck of the woods, he will share his
'correct' explanation of their operation without using the
adiabatic-ness of them all.

Can anyone suggest a cooling mechanism that does NOT make use of an
adiabatic process?