Re: a relativity question

Here's a hint:
Put the compressed spring on a horizontal table and cut the string
the keeps it compressed. What will move with respect to what?
Regards,
Jack

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, SSHS KPHOX wrote:

Every year I try to help my students gain an introductory view to
relativity, I learn more. I hope you will help me once again.

A question in Giancolli asks: Is a compressed spring more massive than the
relaxed version of the spring.

I understand that Work has been done and there is no change of KE.
Classically we say there is now PE stored. But it seems that to conserve
energy in the relativistic sense that there would be added mass measured.
If so, I wonder if the same would be said of an elevated mass?

I am ready to learn!

Thanks

Ken Fox

"What did Barrow's lectures contain? Bourbaki writes with some
scorn that in his book in a hundred pages of the text there are about 180
drawings. (Concerning Bourbaki's books it can be said that in a thousand
pages there is not one drawing, and it is not at all clear which is
worse.)"
V. I. Arnol'd in
Huygens & Barrow, Newton & Hooke