Re: 2 pi i = 0

At 7:01 PM -0500 11/22/02, Michael Edmiston wrote:
Larry Smith brings up another math thing that has changed in my
lifetime. When I went to school, sqrt(25) was plus-or-minus five.
Larry says it is now just plus five. My daughter concurs with Larry.
Like I said, I'm getting too old.

By the way. Why is this? Is it a calculator thing? Sometimes I think
math definitions are driven by what calculators do. I remember doing
sqrt on a slide rule (and also with pencil and paper using
newton-raphson) and my HS math teacher would take off a point if we
didn't put the +- sign in front of "the answer."

It depends on the way the question is asked. There are still two square
roots of 25, +5 and -5 (fundamental thm of alg is still true), but the
radical symbol (\sqrt{25}) only denotes the positive one. At least so the
modern algebra books say. I don't know whether it has anything to do with
the advent of electronic calculators.

Larry