Re: dropped slinky

At 12:48 PM -0600 11/22/02, Tim Folkerts wrote:

Carl,

Sorry, but your analysis of the top of the slinky is wrong.

The bottom accelerates at 0 m/s^2 as you say
The center must accelerate at g. (Consider the net force on the net mass)
The top accelerates at 2g.

Carl's justification for his answer seemed pretty persuasive to me.
I'd be interested in seeing the analysis that leads to this very
different result. And don't forget that the "center" (of mass) is
well below the middle of the suspended slinky.