Re: Newton's Cradle

In the good old days, tape recorders often needed to be de-magnetized.
There were commercial devices made to de-magnetize the various metal
parts in the tape's path. You might check with your audio-visual
department to see if they still have such a device. Hold the gizmo well
away from the metal, turn it on, very slowly move it towards the metal,
move it about the metal, then very slowly move it away from the metal
and finally turn it off.
Glenn Malin
University High School
Irvine, CA

dabineri@CHOICE.NET 11/20/02 06:56PM >>>
The steel spheres in the Newton's Cradle I have are now magnetized be
being too close to a powerful magnet. While this produces some
interesting variations of the cradle's normal operation, I would
prefer
non magnetic spheres.

Is there a convenient way to demagnetize a sphere?

Thanks, David Abineri

--
David Abineri
dabineri@choice.net

This posting is the position of the writer, not that of SUNY-BSC, NAU
or the AAPT.