Moving charges (was CURRENT IN A WIRE)

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
The laboratory observer sees moving charges which interact via magnetic
forces, even though their relative velocity is zero.

This perplexes me and has for some time. I have read that it is shown as
the pinch effect used for confinement of plasma. Is that right? If I were
in the frame of reference of the charged particle, what would be the
source of the magnetic field?...of the attractive force?

Hoping to understand and not just spout information,

Ken Fox