Re: slowing down the earth's spin

Barger and Olsson page 295 claim that the earth's rotation is slowing
down at 44 ns per day due to tidal friction. ... they then say this
amounts to 28 s/century. Unless I'm being really dumb (always
possible, if not probable), this is about 4 orders of magnitude too
large.

What Barger and Olson mean is the following:

The angular speed of the Earth is

w = 2*pi/T

where T = 1 day. It is changing at a rate

alpha = dw/dt = -2*pi/T^2*(dT/dt)

where dT/dt = 44 ns/day

Thus, in a time t the earth spins through a total angle

theta = w_o*t+(1/2)alpha*t^2

The last term represents the correction due to the acceleration.
Evaluating the correction we find that the Earth's cumulative
rotation differs from what it would have been by

delta_theta = 1/2(-2*pi/(1 day)^2)*(44 ns/day)*(1 century)^2 = -2.13 mrad

This corresponds to a cumulative time difference of

delta t = (0.213 mrad)*(1 day/2*pi rad) = 29 s.

--
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajm@csupomona.edu