Re: When Physical Intuition Fails

Michael Edmiston wrote:

Since John's power calculation gives a correct result by the usual
friction force of mu*normal-force, I presume mu*m*g*(R*delta-theta -
delta-x) ought to work for calculating the dissipation without
having to do a power calculation. My problem is that I have worked
through the algebra a couple times and it didn't come out right. In
fact, I didn't get the same result the two times I tried it, and at
this point I have put off grading my lab reports long enough..

It'll be a simple error. This clearly works since integrating the
velocities is the same thing as integrating the rate of dissipation
divided by the constant frictional force. Subsequently multiplying
the result by the frictional force then returns the same answer.

(... and congratulations for evidently getting to the bottom of the
"=" signs in your email. Now you've just got to figure out how to
get rid of those hard line breaks at 132 characters!)