Re: When Physical Intuition Fails

At 11:42 PM 10/29/02, John Mallinckrodt, you wrote:
/snip/
I think you may be confusing two different meanings of the word
"elastic." The sense of the word that is relevant to the current
discussion is "nondissipative." I suspect you may be using the word
in a mechanical engineering or materials science context, one in
which it means "nonpermanently deforming." That sense of the word is
not, however, particularly relevant to this discussion.

>When I visualize a mass suddenly hung onto a steel strip,
>I see a fully elastic extension of the strip's length. Do you?

I don't, but I can see how you might.

/snip/

John Mallinckrodt

I am perceptibly at the point of diminishing returns with this
particular puzzle.
I will merely mention for John's sake, that when he demonstrates
an elementary differential equation of dynamics, it is a mass on
a spring that he uses.
And the spring constitutes a steel strip wound into a coil, heat treated
and tempered appropriately.

And yes: the mass bobs repeatedly, until the damping effect of the air
(principally) damps the motion. He will remember that he models the
damping as velocity dependent in recognition of this air turbulence
dissipation. Just because one does not see this always present elastic
stretching in a stiff engineering member does not mean it is absent.

Or perhaps, a more vivid illustration: when you look along the wing of
the next plane you fly, consider the major deflections as turbulence
is encountered.

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!