Re: When Physical Intuition Fails

At 01:23 PM 10/28/02, Michael Bowen, you wrote:
[ Oren Quist ]
>I don't understand why this problem is so "misleading."
> Unless of course I have done it all wrong!
> By simple methods I get the final velocity to be
>
> Vf = (IR) / (I+ MR^2) x wo
>
>Which has the final velocity independent of the frictional
coefficient.

I was lazy and assumed that the wheel was a uniform
cylinder or disk (I = 0.5MR^2).
With this assumption, I obtained the pleasingly simple
result V_f = (1/3)Rw_0. This is consistent with Oren's
more general formula above, when my specific I is
plugged in, and was also obtained using simple
(non-calculus) methods (basically, N2 and its extension
to rotational motion). The result is again independent
of mu, but I am still having trouble reconciling this to
the case mu = 0, which clearly has different
behavior.
I am thinking it might be instructive to analyze the
behavior in the limit as mu approaches zero; the
amount of time required for the wheel to stop
slipping will obviously increase asymptotically.
Also, I haven't figured out how the rolling distance
needed to achieve non-slippage changes
with mu, but it shouldn't be difficult to do.
The behaviors in the limit as mu approaches
infinity (velcro, anyone?) might also be instructive.

--MB

As far as I recall, Michael was the only person to
consider system behavior at both the limiting ends of mu.

Though low mu is of considerable practical interest, it
never realizes a zero value quite. But the inifinite mu value
sketched as a velcro interface, has interest, because it
offers maximal translation velocity from the available
rotational energy. Pins on a pin hole surface is another
example which is not impossible to realise for moderate
configurations (where elastic displacements at the
interface handle the initial transient forces.)

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!