Re: When Physical Intuition Fails

At 03:46 PM 10/28/02, Bob Lamontagne, you wrote:
[John Mallinckrodt]

> >At some time the increasing forward linear speed of the wheel will
equal the
> >decreasing tangential speed of the rim (R x omega). This will be the
> >end of slippage.
>
> That general conclusion is not hard to sell people on. The
> "difficult part" is determining what that final speed is.

Yes - entirely right. At that time there were people asking that the
solution be held
back. I was just trying to give a hint that would lead to a simple
statement of
conservation of angular momentum - the formula for which was supplied by Brian
Whatcott later.

/snip/

Bob at PC

Not me, Bob: I offered a naive view.