Re: Reference frame of photon?

Regarding Antti's question:

I have a question about special relativity. My student asked me
about time in photon's reference frame. He said to have read that
time does not pass at all in this frame. I replied that I am not
sure if it is valid to speak about reference frame of a photon in
special relativity at all.
I promised to find a more definite answer. Any suggestions?

Antti, you are correct in doubting the validity of a reference frame
in which the photon is at rest. If such a reference frame actually
existed as a legitimate reference frame then we would have a
contradiction with the postulated requirement of relativity that the
photon must travel at speed c in all reference frames. If we find a
frame in which its speed is 0, then it isn't c, is it?

David Bowman