Re: a surprising escape speed problem

At 07:55 AM 10/26/02, John Mallinckrodt, you wrote:
... In my last message I said
that, to the extent that the radius of the Earth is NOT negligible,
the required launch speed depends on both the ratio R_earth/R_orbit
and the ratio v_orbit/v_esc. I should have added that it also
depends on the direction of launch in exactly the way Tore has
indicated.

It should also be noted, however, that "escape velocity" in a case
like this does not produce "zero veocity at infinity" except,
perhaps, wrt the Earth at one point in its orbit.

--
John Mallinckrodt

I am probably missing the whole point of this puzzle which I thought was to
posit the replacement of the Sun's gravitational attraction with a string.

I visualize a string distributed to act on every Earth particle, and
realise that
this is a gravity force by another name. So the question turns out to be:
what is the effect on space launches if Earth's diurnal rotation is stopped?
I take it that one loses the advantage of equatorial launches.
And that's about it.

Isn't it?

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!