Re: Astronomy labs

"I recently received a fresh catalog from SuperCircuits, which is a CCD
camera vendor. Their PC164C camera is rated at 0.0003 lux b&w, taking
12V 100 mA, 2.5 X 1.2 X 1.2 inches, 1 yr warranty, without lens,
on offer for $130 They advert to an image of Saturn, and one of Jupiter
with a moon. They claim some deep sky objects can be seen in real-time.
The camera is hooked to a PC with the cables supplied."

I wish I'd not listened to the salesman. I intended to purchase the PC 23C instead
of the 164, as I'm interested in objects w/ mag. > 5 up to 14 instead of -2, such as
planets. Tho the 23C is 1 / 133 as sensitive it is not difficult to defeat the
shutter control ~ 4 s. will equal the 164 and the AGC. I plan to modify the 23 I
finally purchased. I haven't found the practical shutter time limit, of if anyone
has tried cooling the CCD.

So far fog has limited my trying the 164 to recording on a VCR Albiero. Usually the
seeing is so bad I'm limited to ~ mag. 6.

I didn't receive any cables for digital transfer -- I think all of Supercuits cameras
are NTSC video out.

bc

Brian Whatcott wrote:

On Friday, 18th at 14:16:45 EST, Tina Fanetti enumerated some
astronomical observing considerations, among which:

cut

Armed with this new insight, I can propose that Vickie's item 3) was validating
Tina's position; nevertheless, in response to item 2) I will persist in a
modest
'trouble-shooting' excursion, which follows.

I recently received a fresh catalog from SuperCircuits, which is a CCD
camera vendor. Their PC164C camera is rated at 0.0003 lux b&w, taking
12V 100 mA, 2.5 X 1.2 X 1.2 inches, 1 yr warranty, without lens,
on offer for $130 They advert to an image of Saturn, and one of Jupiter
with a moon. They claim some deep sky objects can be seen in real-time.
The camera is hooked to a PC with the cables supplied.

Sincerely

Brian W.

Ref: SuperCircuits 1-800-335-9777 Texas. <http://www.supercircuits.com>
Brian Whatcott