Re: Hewitt Special Relativity Example (Long)

At 11:31 PM -0700 10/19/02, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

But if there is a simple argument that has eluded me, I'd
>like to hear it. Hewitt offers none ...

It is interesting, however, to note that his argument might well
*seem* to apply equally well to sound waves; the reason it doesn't is
a little subtle. To his credit, he does *say* that it doesn't apply
to waves that require a medium, but he doesn't explain why.

This 'subtlety' can be cleared up by stressing the postulate
of c being constant. For waves that utilize a medium - this is not
the case.

This posting is the position of the writer, not that of SUNY-BSC,
NAU or the AAPT.

--
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajm@csupomona.edu