From: Michael Porter [mailto:mbt@SYMPATICO.CA]
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2002 4:19 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: What is this?

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 08:31:01 -0500, Joseph Bellina
<jbellina@SAINTMARYS.EDU>
wrote:

Tell me about the grey box...does it look old and well made, or does it

look like a post 1950 packing crate that has been painted gray, or is
that grey. Does it have a hole in the center as if it rotated?

My first guess is that it is an early hard drive disk, but that of
course is on the basis of almost no data.

The box isn't anything fancy, just wood thick enough to hold the disk,
with a green felt liner.

It's definitely not a hard drive disk, this thing would have major
rotational inertia. I've posted a picture of it with a description at:

<http://www3.sympatico.ca/mbt/Whuzzat/>

Mike
---
Michael Porter
Colonel By Secondary School
Gloucester, Ontario Canada

This posting is the position of the writer, not that of SUNY-BSC, NAU or
the AAPT.