Re: Electric fields and points of stability

I didn't make my concerns clear. It seemed to me before (and it does
even more so now that I've had a chance to look more carefully) that
the drawing does not properly represent the field of four *point*
charges. If it did, many of the field lines that head *toward* the
center would actually *go* to the center rather than curving back
outwards as they do in your diagram. The field of four infinite line
charges, on the other hand, *does* look like your drawing which makes
me think that your program may actually be calculating the fields of
line charges rather than point charges. This is commonly done in
two-d representations so that the resulting field obeys Gauss' law in
two dimensions since the field due to point charges does not!

The way the generator works is how we explain field lines. I place a
positive test charge at equally spaced (angularly) positions around each
charge and then using all the charges in place, calculate the path that the
test charge would move. That is what is traced. The number of initial
charge positions is fixed and may not be properly chosen in this example to
show all the details. This is really designed just to introduce the idea of
field lines to the class. The way the lines are drawn, one can actually
watch them being generated. With today's really fast machines, it happens
pretty fast, but not too fast (yet) to see.

Rick