Re: MentorNet (one woman's response)

In a message dated 10/13/02 8:27:26 AM, clement@HAL-PC.ORG writes:

Boys
tended to be more familiar with the tools than the girls. The researchers
hypothesized that having grade school children play with familiar objects
such as flashlights might help. They also thought that girls may not be
exposed to tool usage as much as boys.

Not only are some girls not exposed to tool usage but also are (or at least
were) prevented from playing with toys deemed mainly for boys. Perhaps I
wouldn't be as E-M challenged if only my parents had let me have that
electric train I so coveted as a child. I recall one particular class where
I frequently deferred to my male lab partner because he obviously was
comfortable with the tools, and I feared ruining something.

The fact that I make no effort to hide the fact that I am a bit of a klutz
with the equipment we use in my Physics I classes, I believe, has allowed
some of my students, both male and female, to relax and be less fearful of
blundering. Labs for them are less stressful and a greater learning
experience.

This discussion is of particular interest to me because despite our Physics I
and IA classes being at least 50% female and many of our young women do very
well, very few go on to take AP Physics or to study physics in college.

Rosaline