Re: A Bio And A Movie: Nash.

Here's what Brian at wsu has to offer:

In popular usage, "schizophrenic" (and the more slangy
and now dated "schizoid") indicates "split between two
attitudes." This drives people with training in psychiatry
crazy. "Schizo-" does indeed mean "split," but is used
here to mean "split off from reality." Someone with a
Jekyll-and-Hyde personality is suffering from
"multiple personality disorder" (or, more recently
"dissociative identity disorder"), not "schizophrenia."

Quoting this URL...

<http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/schizophrenic.html>

Brian W

At 12:06 PM 10/12/02, Jack Uretsky <jlu@HEP.ANL.GOV>, you wrote:
Did you by any chance mean "schizoid"? The two are very, very different.

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Brian Whatcott wrote:

> My son has bought a movie DVD, he tells me. It's called
> something like "A Beautiful Mind".
> I haven't seen it yet, but he recommends it. And he left me a
> relevant Nobel bio to read. This, I can recommend.
> It's by John F. Nash, Jr.
>
> <http://www.nobel.se/economics/laureates/1994/nash-autobio.html>
>
> Meanwhile, I was laughing with my wife at a free weekend satellite
> TV offering on Starz called, "America's Sweethearts".
>
> Such a schizophrenic mix of entertainments, but both ringing with a
> shimmering honesty of their diverse genres.
> Enjoy!

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!