Re: MentorNet (one woman's response)

At 13:08 11 10 2002 , the following was received:
So, what shall we do? A. Shall we require that every new physics hire
at University X shall be a woman until the % of women in physics becomes
equal to ~50%? (regardless of whether or not an equally or better
qualified male applies or not).

Well, James, I think that I agree with your conclusions, but just one quibble:

Non-males (at this point I don't know how to refer to this kind of humans)
as a class are NOT equivalent to men and probably can't be. They certainly
don't want to be. -- They are almost a different species -- at least they
think that men are. In some ways they are not as talented/capable as
men. In some ways they are typically much better qualified for a task that
men. They are certainly welcome in any of my classes -- because I think
that they as a group turn out to be better physicists than men -- however,
most have better judgement and don't follow this path.

The idea that non-males are the same as males is fiction. The idea that
there "should" (whatever "should' might mean) be 50% of non-males and 50%
of males in any position is folly. IMVHO.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen