Re: Physics First Content

Edmiston, Mike wrote:> courses.

And yes... Pre-med students need HS physics (and chemistry). They do
not need more biology as many students and guidance counselors suspec=
t.
Biology prerequisites for med school are quite low. Just one year of
general biology (although more is a good idea). But med-schools
universally require a year of lab-based college physics, a year of
lab-based general-inorganic chemistry, and a year of lab-based organi=
chemistry. High school students (and counselors) often think student=
wanting pre-med should opt into a second or third biology course in l=
ieu
of chemistry and/or physics. This is wrong, wrong, wrong.

I tell my high school students if they want to go to medical school they
need to take AP Calculus and AP Chemistry, or they are already behind
the other pre-med students in college who have taken these courses in
high school. This is after they have taken pre-AP Physics.

Vern Dewees
Creekview High School
Carrollton, Tx