Re: MentorNet (one woman's response)

Except for the NY City ballet. There all females are girls
and all males
are boys. This tradition was in use under Mr. B (Balanchine)
and I suspect
is still in use. I don't know if it is also the rule in
other dance troups.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I recall a few days in our Jackson level E&M class when my the fellow who
became my thesis advisor referred to the multi-flavored class as "boys and
girls". No one took offense, though there was a bit of squirming in the
seats as usually this meant we were being admonished over some point or
other.