Re: MentorNet (one woman's response)

In a message dated 10/9/02 5:00:36 AM, LISTSERV@lists.nau.edu writes:

Jim Green says:
Doesn't it seem possibly a bit egocentric for male physicists to think
that
women want to be or should want to be physicists rather than engage in
path which is more beneficial to humanity. Do we really believe that a
Prize in physics the greatest achievement of a human?

Huh.
I decided to spend my life trying to make the world a better place BEFORE
going to college and majoring in physics. Physics was an important part of
that path for me. If I felt that by teaching physics I was not contributing
to making the world a better place, I would quit and do something else.
Which isn't to say Jim doesn't have some points.
Physicists aren't always fun to hang around with--some women can be really
turned off by arrogance, for example. I think over 50% of physicists I have
met can be described as arrogant.
But women often enjoy doing physics when they can be with some other women,
collaborating and reinforcing each other. And they might enjoy themselves
doing physics and decide that it might make a fun career if they had a peer
network also involved in physics. Hence, MentorNet. Besides, it can be
lonely for a woman being the only female in the physics department (not
counting the secretary). I bet they would enjoy some company, and if they
have to do some recruiting, why not?
I myself would prefer not to have Jim as a mentor, though. ;-)
Incidentally, I think we need more men teaching elementary school. I think
that it would have a positive influence on society.

Fran Poodry
East High School
West Chester, PA