-----Original Message-----
From: Bernard Cleyet
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 1:19 PM

Huhhh?

I thought the point was our usual experience is mediated by high friction
that
confirms Aristotelian Physics. A block of gas supported ice reduces the
friction, so
one may have a Galilean experience.

bc puzzled and
who assumes this post is the position of Richard et al.

Larry Woolf wrote:

As much as I appreciate Richard Hake's posting, I take issue with this
one.
The Phys-L posts have revolved around the kinesthetic experiences of
pushing
bowling balls, cars, bikes, etc. You can't much more kinesthetic than
that.
It also seems to me that real-life experiences that vary slightly every
day
and also occur everyday provide powerful contexts for learning, for
continual reinforcement of learning, and for the transfer of that
learning.
http://www.nap.edu/html/howpeople1/ch3.html (see the "Context" section)
We often use cars, bikes, and bowling balls, whereas we rarely push large
blocks of dry ice on glass.