Re: grades, pass/fail etc.

I've been following this discussion with great interest. I'd like to share
what I've been doing because I think I am beginning to see the possibility
of success with doing ungraded homework (although I still have some ways to
go).

For the past year or so, I've tried using ungraded daily homework. I make
corrections and comments (solutions are posted) but I don't grade it.

To motivate the students, I tell them that I'll allow them to retake an exam
(I give four plus a final) if they complete a certain percentage of the
homework (and other activities, like attendance and such). I also have them
review the homework in class in groups. I hope by using groups there is
some peer pressure to do the homework. I also say that the campus tutoring
center will give priority to those who do the homework (to get a tutor on
campus you must now sign a form in which you pledge to attend class and
complete classwork but I have not yet needed to invoke this clause).

So far, student participation is pretty good. In the past, participation
was not so good but I think that was because the problems got too difficult.
Once most people in a group stopped, everyone else soon followed. Now I try
to have lots of easy questions along with difficult ones so that everyone
can contribute during the group reviews (which takes about 10-15 minutes of
the class).

I also require that they self-assess their own homework, which makes the
group reviews important (although I also post solutions). This is probably
the most difficult thing for them. Most students need to be trained in what
it means to self-assess.

Robert Cohen; rcohen@po-box.esu.edu; 570-422-3428; http://www.esu.edu/~bbq
Physics, East Stroudsburg Univ., E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301