Re: Student Questions

Point well taken; I was unclear. I'm not advocating
the def'n of force via ma, simply that it's helpful to
start by identifying which objects are interacting
with a mass at rest (at first). Hold a mass in your
hand, ask the question. Hold a spring with the same
mass attached to the other end of the spring, ask the
same question. The idea is to build the concept that a
force results from the interaction (with or without
contact) between two objects. These interactions can
often (always??) be thought of and experienced as a
push or a pull. Before moving to acceleration, the
conceptual goal is to associate balanced forces with
unchanging motion. That is a BIG leap for many
students. John Barrere--- "John S. Denker"
<jsd@MONMOUTH.COM> wrote:
Tina wrote:

I am currently teaching forces to my general
physics
class.

John Barrer wrote:

Start by getting them used to the question "What
objects are interacting with the mass?"

If that means what I think it means, then I'm not
convinced that's the right starting point.

I don't subscribe to the school of thought that
starts
with position -> velocity -> acceleration and then
_defines_ force in terms of F=ma. (If force is
defined
that way then F=ma becomes a tautology.)

Instead, I take the point of view (both for physics
reasons and pedagogical reasons) that force exists
unto itself. (Therefore F=ma is a nontrivial
expression, subject to experimental verification
or falsification.)

Specifically, I would hand the student one end of a
rope. I pull on the other end and say
"Feel that? That's a force."
I pull harder and say
"Feel that? That's a larger magnitude of
force."
I pull off to the side and say
"Feel that? That's a force in a different
direction."

You will note that these exemplary forces are
defined
absolutely without reference to any mass.