Re: was Kinematics of Throwing Balls; really braking distances

A solution:

reaction distance = vt

stopping distance = v^2/(2a)

So v^2/(2a) + vt = d

a=5.18m/s^2

t=1.6 s

d=48.78m

Use the quadratic formula to solve

v^2/(2a) + vt - d = 0

for v.

Larry Woolf;General Atomics;6995 Flanders Dr.;MS 78-107;San Diego CA
92121-2975; Ph:858-526-8575;FAX:858-526-8568; www.ga.com; www.sci-ed-ga.org