From: Hugh Haskell
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 1:37 PM
Subject: Re: University Physics

At 12:47 -0700 9/24/02, Larry Woolf wrote:

Headlights illuminate the road up to 160 ft in front of you. If you are on
a road with stop signs, what is the fastest speed you can drive and still
stop safely at night?
A typical reaction time for braking is 1.5 s (See Traffic Safety and the
Driver by Leonard Evans) and a typical braking acceleration for a car is 17
ft/s2.

So I might modify Larry's problem to specify an alert driver, and
give a reaction time of .5 sec, then add a part (b) to specify an
inattentive driver with a reaction time of 2.5 sec. The difference in
safe speed for these two cases would be quite dramatic (somewhere
around 20 mph).