Re: University Physics

Regarding the 160 ft. headlight illumination:
My reference is an email and chart that I received from the research and
evaluation division of the National Highway Transportation and Safety
Administration (NHSTA).

Regarding reaction times:
There is an interesting discussion of reaction times in the book "Traffic
Safety and the Driver." If you are anticipating an event, reaction times
can be as short as 0.15 s. While driving, your reaction time is divided
into a perception reaction time ("I need to brake") and a movement reaction
time (movement of your foot). For drivers focusing on the car ahead of
them, an average reaction time is 1.6 s. For drivers encountering an
unexpected obstacle around a blind curve, an average reaction time is closer
to 2.5 s. NHTSA also considers the 1.5 s reaction time to be appropriate.

It seems to me that mechanics problems that have some bearing on driving
safety are in fact quite relevant. Students are starting to drive at the
same time they are starting to learn physics. With this particular problem,
they can actually understand why most country roads have 35 mph speed
limits.

I have written an education module on this topic
(<http://www.sci-ed-ga.org/modules/driving/index.html>) and will be
presenting at the California Science Teachers Association Meeting in
October, if anyone on the list would like to attend and receive a copy.

Larry Woolf;General Atomics;6995 Flanders Dr.;MS 78-107;San Diego CA
92121-2975; Ph:858-526-8575;FAX:858-526-8568; www.ga.com; www.sci-ed-ga.org