Re: Exam do's and don'ts (formerly RE: Projectile Motion)

I agree with Vickie, 100%. My students know that exams
problems will be very similar, but not identical, to those
assigned as homework or discussed in class. That motivates
them not to ignore assigned problems. I know that some
will try to memorize without understanding and I take every
opportunity to convince them that understanding is also very
important. Sometimes a problem is completely changed by
changing a single word or phrase. Those who understand
will realize the difference, those who do not will use a
wrong formulas or methods. A good place to illustrate this
is a problem session in class. (For example, ignoring
friction versus not ignoring it, or a converging lens
versus a diverging lens, etc.)
Ludwik Kowalski

"Frohne, Vickie" wrote:

In this case, Tina, I concur with your department chair. Exams are for
assessing how well students have already learned the material, and need
to be designed with this goal in mind. Therefore, exam questions should
be similar in content and style to questions that the students have already
seen. Strive to assess their knowledge, not their innate ability. Don't use
the exam to try to teach the students something new.