Re: Why Not Give References?

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Richard Hake <rrhake@EARTHLINK.NET> posted:
"I was shocked to discover yesterday that I almost agreed with a
statement in one of Rick's Phys-L posts. I thought I was beginning to
lose it. But now confidence in my judgement has been validated by
Rick's opposition."

I'm smiling broadly. For those of you who don't know Dick, he has a heart
of gold and a sharp but good-natured wit, as well as a demand for
scientific rigor. I appreciate his contributions and his demands, for he
pushes us to greater awareness and greater helpfulness to others by his
posts. I agree with him that a listserv can be "a structure that rapidly
captures knowledge-value and fosters rapid accumulation and growth of the
community's capability." We all benefit when we hold that vision and work
toward it.

I like having references cited, especially when they are URLs. I rarely
have time to go to the library and get a paper, but I can download papers
fast.
Cheers,
Jane Jackson

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics & Astronomy,ASU,Tempe,AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331 <http://modeling.asu.edu>
"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is
our inability to understand the exponential function."
- Al Bartlett, Prof of Physics, Univ of Colorado