Re: D=5

"John S. Denker" wrote:

The other evening I was telling one of my neices
about hypercubes. Start with a D=1 object, namely
a line:
_______

Then duplicate it, andconnect corresponding ends.
The result is a D=2 object, namely a square:
_______
| |
| |
| |
|_______|

Then duplicate that, and connect corresponding corners.
The result is a D=3 object, namely a cube:
_______
/| /|
/ / |
| | | |
| |____|_ |
| / | /
|_______|/

Now keep going. Duplicate that, and connect corresponding
corners. I'm not going to draw it using ASCII art, but
it's not very hard to draw it using pencil and paper.
If you can project a D=3 cube onto D=2 paper, you can
perfectly well do the same for a D=4 hypercube.

What is drawn above (sorry I was not able to preserve JohnD's
ASCII picture of the cube, even after switching to Courier font)
is a projection of a D=3 cube onto D=2 screen. How does it
help me to figure out the D=4 structure? My ability to visualize,
or to represent with sticks, etc. ends at D=3. Am I the only one
to suffer from this limitation in this company?
Ludwik Kowalski