Re: vector components and notation

Joel Rauber wrote:

John Mallinkrodt wrote:

> If there is a vector indicated by <bold>A</bold>_sub_x, then
> <italic>A</italic>_sub_x should formally represent the *magnitude* of
> that vector and, thus, would never have a negative value as it could
> if it instead represented the scalar x-component of the vector
> <bold>A</bold>.

I'm not sure I follow:

Agreed. See below.

let me restate and clarify the notation that I
believe is consistant

(Small note: I'm a proponent of arrows over letters for vector quantities
instead of boldfacing. But I'll follow what you have done above for ASCII
clarity.)

Ditto

<bold>A</bold> = a vector

<bold>A_x</bold> = a component vector, John D's projection onto
<bold>i_hat</bold>

|A_x| = a positive scalar, the length of the component vector
<bold>A_x</bold>

It does appear that I am still failing to make my point. I'll try once more:

By convention we write

but we generally allow ourselves the notational shortcut

A = |<bold>A</bold>|

In other words, when a textbook writes a quantity in bold face, it is
understood to be a vector and when that *same quantity* is written in
regular (but usually italicized) face, it is understood to represent
the *magnitude* of the vector which is always *nonnegative* quantity.
Thus, if we allow ourselves to refer to the vector

<bold>A_x</bold>

then, logically, the quantity

|<bold>A_x</bold>| = A_x

represents the *magnitude* of *that* vector and shouldn't *also* be
used to represent the scalar x_component of the (different) vector

<bold>A</bold>

To avoid this ambiguity, I simply prefer never to use the notation

<bold>A_x</bold>

John
--
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm