Re: vector components and notation

Bob LaMontagne wrote:

... Yes, Serway does use the two vectors Ax and Ay - however, he is
careful not to use the word "component" until he actually defines the term
from the scalar lengths of those vectors. Then he drops the vectors Ax and Ay
completely throughout the remainder of the text and only uses scalar
components. I think his presentation could have been even stronger by leaving
out those two vectors entirely - I think that was your objection and I agree
with you. Do you have favorite textbooks that you feel take a clearer
approach? ...

This is not a very big deal with me but, since you ask, I guess I
tend to favor what seems to me the traditional approach as
exemplified by Halliday, Resnick, and Krane (or some permutation
thereof) and other texts which limit themselves to using vectors,
scalar components of vectors, and unit vectors. I would prefer a
textbook that indicates vectors the way we actually write them (i.e.,
as non-bold face characters with arrows over the top) and that
indicate unit vectors using non-bold face characters like x, y, and z
with "hats" (rather than bold face i, j, and k.)

John
--
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajm@csupomona.edu