From: Seth Miller [mailto:stmiller@NYX.NET]
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 1:55 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Changing the Refractive Index of Water to match Glass

Hello all-

Thanks to all who helped me find the temperature strips. Now I have
another request: does anyone know of a powder that can be added to
water to change its index of refraction to match that of glass?

The idea is to use a spherical flask filled with water to explore the
phenomenon of rainbows. It would simplify my life if there were not get
all sorts of secondary reflections and refractions that create other
color effects that do not exist in a suspended drop of water in the air.
I heard that such a powder existed, perhaps by the name of 'Liquid
Glass', but I have been unable to find such a substance and would
appreciate any help in its location!

Thanks-
Seth Miller
Denver Waldorf High School