Re: vector components and notation

Title: Re: vector components and notation
At 6:14 PM -0400 9/16/02, Bob LaMontagne wrote:

One of the reasons that I have used Serway (Physics for Scientists and Engineers) is because I feel he is one of the few authors who really presents the concept of components correctly and also very clearly explains the concept to the student.  ...

I have problems with Serway's approach because the notation is inherently inconsistent.  He defines A as the magnitude of A.  He then defines the *vectors* A_x and A_y.  Logically, therefore, A_x and A_y would be the *magnitudes* of the vectors A_x and A_y.  But in the next breath they are defined instead as the ordinary signed scalar components of the vector A.

While I like the idea of being able to talk about *vector* components as well as *scalar* components, I think it almost inevitably leads either to notational awkwardness or inconsistency, both of which are potentially confusing to students.

John
--
   A. John Mallinckrodt        http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm
   Professor of Physics      mailto:ajm@csupomona.edu