Re: first law of thermo

"Carl E. Mungan" wrote [off list]:

... so this [expression of the first law in terms of energy]
is a first step. I agree many other steps remain. But
my approach is to begin with the mechanics side of the energy story
rather than the thermal side.

OK.

But recognizing that, you should re-examine the logical
structure of the first-law discussion.

If you mean to say (as I think you should!) that the
first law of thermodynamics is conservation of energy,
you should just say that. Getting rid of any mention
of W+Q will make the discussion vastly shorter, clearer,
more useful, and more logical.

Maybe it would help to cite a specific example (that involves actual
numerical calculations not just concepts) that can be done using your
favorite method x but not using conventional textbook methods. Do you
have such an example? Please post one to PHYS-L for discussion if you
do.

What about the Rumford experiment, for example? If
you want it to be numerical (as well as conceptual),
let a cannon with heat capacity C rotate through an
angle theta while subject to a torque tau; your
mission, should you decide to accept it, is to
calculate delta T.

-- The concept of Q is inapplicable.
-- Consequently any discussion of W+Q is invalid.
-- The concept of W is maybe or maybe not applicable;
if you think it is applicable it requires (re)defining
W in such a way that the work/KE theorem no longer applies.
++ The concept of conservation of energy of course
applies, and leads immediately to a correct method
for calculating delta T.

This seems like a very large tree standing at the entrance
to the forest. I don't know why it is so commonly overlooked.

I revised

http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/thermo-laws.htm#sec-thermal-energy
to emphasize that ironically, the first and second laws of
thermodynamics are essentially non-thermal.