Re: Kinematics of Throwing Balls

The answer to this question depends upon your definition of "average".
David seems to be defining the quantity in a way that makes for maximum
mystification of the student. I define "average" as 1/2(V_{f}-V{i}))
which may not, in general, be the same as the "mean" velocity
(1/T)integral(_0^T)(v(t)dt). These distinctions, IMO, have no place in an
elementary course where "average" is intended to give the student a sense
of a relationship of displacement over time.

See the first chapter of my calculus text which attempts to emphasize this
concept.
Regards,

Jack