Re: Kinematics of Throwing Balls

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tina Fanetti" <FanettT@QUEST.WITCC.CC.IA.US>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 1:02 PM
Subject: Re: Kinematics of Throwing Balls

<<The force of the
hand (which gave it the acceleration a) no longer acts on the ball.<<

I bet this is the problem. I think they think (and we haven't gotten to
force yet) that the force is still with the ball even after it left the
hand.
I know one of my students has answered along these lines.

That is the standard Aristotelian viewpoint and you can bank on the fact
that more than one of your students will be thinking that way!

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: Mac versions of Lab Simulations