Monochromator Repair Help Needed

Greetings Physics Colleagues:

We have a Bausch & Lomb Monochromator (Cat NO 33-86-76) that is in need of
repair. It looks like it once had a waxed string wrapped around two wheels
that look they were designed for a toothed belt. These wheels and
connecting string? connected the external handle to the gearing that
rotates the grating and reads out the wavelength.

Have any of you had any experience repairing this type of device or do any
of you have suggestions? Maybe I just need to raid my wifes sewing
supplies for some good strong string and put a few turns around both
wheels/gears. Ideas?

Ivan Rouse, Physics Professor
Physics Department, La Sierra University
4700 Pierce St., Riverside, CA 92515
email: irouse@lasierra.edu
phone: 909-785-2137, FAX 909-785-2215