Re: The speed of gravity

Leigh,
l suspect it is the increased distance that Jupiter away from us.
A longer base line would allow greater precision. How does one get a hold
of (gr-qc0206022)?

Gary

It is called an "appulse". The center of Jupiter will pass 3.7
seconds of arc from the quasar J0842+1835 on 8 September 2002. That
is less than the apparent radius of Jupiter, I'll note, so this
could also be called an "occultation"

I confess that the press release gives me no idea why this appulse
is more propitious than the annual passages of the limb of the Sun
past quasar 3C279 each October. According to the paper (gr-qc0206022)
the Shapiro delay will be measured to picoseconds, yielding the
"speed of propagation of gravity" to a precision of 10% of the speed
of light. I confess that the paper is well beyond my ability to
comprehend. Can someone help me?

Leigh