Re: Is this OT?

Would you believe, it's because the overwhelming majority of
elem. teachers are women?

So what is being said is women teachers push fiction? I
am not sure. Being married to a 2nd grade teacher and
writing checks for her to but books for her class to read,
her selection is limited to almost stickly fiction. I would
think most elementary teachers male or female "push"
fiction because that is what is available.

Why does this make a difference? Because, whether cultural
or genetic, boys like non-fiction and girls, fiction. And
of course from an early age fiction is pushed.

I never gave this much thought, but my son prefers to
read non-fiction and my daughter prefers fiction. I like
non-fiction a lot (although I read a lot of science fiction
and fantasy) but my wife stickkly reads fiction.