From: Herbert H Gottlieb [mailto:herbgottlieb@JUNO.COM]
Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2002 11:52 AM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Uniforms and learning

On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 10:35:15 -0500 Rick Tarara <rtarara@SAINTMARYS.EDU>
writes:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bernard Cleyet" <anngeorg@PACBELL.NET>
This month's is "Should public schools require students to
wear uniforms?" Eighty per cent of the respondents said, "Yes."
Talk about forced conforming.

If we want to know why the public schools can't make any headway on
the problems they face, we need only look to the above comment. When
something is proposed that would have a measurable effect on improving
the
school LEARNING climate, it is immediately opposed by some misguided
'civil liberties' concern.

*** I'm not sure that anyone has shown that uniforms have any measurable
effect on the learning climate. Are there any studies that have shown
this to be true?

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where our best elementary, junior and senior high school do not require
uniforms)