Re: The sign of g

Larry Smith wrote:

http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/weight.htm

John makes the case that g (vector) is "the acceleration of a nearby
freely-falling object relative to your chosen reference frame" but I think
he is then not able to write F_g = mg, which many want to do parallel with
F_e = qE.

Look again. I explicitly do equate F_g with W which is in turn
equal to mg.

What I can't do is equate those with GMm/r^2.

I'll repeat what I've said when we had this discussion before (definition
of weight): I don't care what convention we adopt, I just hope we all adopt
the same one. And I'd like to know what it is so I can teach my students
consistently with the way y'all's students are being taught.

So what is g _really_?

I remain comfortable with what I wrote on that web page.