Re: Nature of Science (NOS)

I am glad Joseph Bellina mentioned the social scientists, because social science projects also play a part of science fairs around here, and I think they play way too big of a part.

Our local school requires that all students do a science fair project in the 8th grade. The first trauma for students comes when they have to from a hypothesis, which means choosing a project.

I apologize that I haven't done a count, but I am sure that social science projects, usually some type of psycho-behavioral project, represent well over half the science fair projects in 8th grade. Here is a typical project.

* * * *
Hypothesis: People who study in a room painted yellow will learn better than people who study in a room painted blue.

Testing Method: I had a list of 30 words. I allowed 50 people to study this list for 10 minutes. Half the people studied in a room that was painted yellow and the other half studied in a room painted blue. After ten minutes were over I gave the people a blank sheet of paper and had them write down as many of the 30 words as they could remember.

Results/Conclusion: The people who studied in the yellow room averaged 18.24 words recalled correctly. The people who studied in the blue room averaged 17.86 words recalled correctly. Therefore my hypothesis was upheld; people who study in a yellow room learn better than people who study in a blue room.
* * * *

I am not exagerating when I say this type of project totally dominates our 8th grade science fair. Since students are following "scientific procedure" this qualifies as valid science. The outrageous use of significant figures and the questionable claim of statistical significance are also typical.

Even worse are the "mystical science" or "pseudo science" projects Example....

* * * *
Hypothesis: If I play classical music to house plants they will grow better than if I play rock-and-roll music to them.

Testing Method: (You get the idea; I won't finish this.)
* * * *

With this type of science fair taking place, I continually ask why we bother.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817