Re: nuclear reaction coordinates

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

My recollection is that in order to perform tunneling
calculations, either for alpha particles, or for other
nuclear chunks, one must know nuclear potential.

OK

well
parameters chosen for alphas gave wrong lambda
for fission, and vice versa.

Please share what you know.

The primary thing that I know is that I'm not an expert
in this area. But, secondarily speaking, I'll share
what little I know. Long ago in a galaxy far away I
thought about an atomic-physics problem (i.e. chemical
reactions) which might be reasonably analogous to this
sort of nuclear reactions.

I think the key concept here is _reaction coordinate_.
Starting in the 1850s theoretical physicists got really
good at performing change-of-coordinates transformations.
Rectangular -> cylindrical -> spherical coordinates are
elementary examples -- but it gets lots fancier than
that. For the fission reaction, you might start by
imagining a reaction coordinate W such that for small
W the nucleus is oblate, for slightly larger W the
nucleus is prolate, for larger W it gets really proate
like a dumbbell, and for very large W it is just two
separated fragments. You then write a potential V(W) as
a function of W. (The real reaction coordinate must be
even more complicated than I have described.)

For alpha decay, the situation is probably much simpler.
You can (to a first approximation) write a potential V(r)
as a function of r, the distance of the alpha particle from
the rest of the nucleus.

For sure it would be unhelpful to speak of "the" potential
as a function of "the" coordinate.

But there were other complications as well. For
instance, how often two
protons and two neutrons happen to be bound into
an alpha particle inside a nucleus?

In some sense, the answer is "pretty often". An alpha
particle is a pretty favorable configuration of nucleons.

In another sense, it almost doesn't matter. You can
treat nuclear matter as a collection of N individual
nucleons _or_ as a collection of roughly N/4 alpha
particles (with a few leftovers) by a more-or-less
purely mathematical change of basis. The point is
that the quantum equations of motion explore every
physically-possible possibility _in parallel_ and if one
of the possibilities involves alpha particles, and tends
to go to completion, that's the one that will go to
completion.

This exploring-every-option-in-parallel behavior is
quite central to quantum mechanics. Quantum computing
exploits this heavily.