Re: Nuclear topics in physics?

What happens to the released energy? What
prevents heavy nuclei from fissioning very rapidly?

That seems to be going overboard. Answering those two
questions requires knowing a lot of detail about nuclear
processes. I don't know how to make an idealized/simplified
version of that question without throwing the baby out
with the bathwater.

JD must be requiring more rigor than I think necessary. Eisberg and
Lerner discuss this, I think well, in one page. This is after
discussing chemical reactions, etc. The sub ch. "Energy and Rest Mass
in Chemical and Nuclear Reactions" is ~ ten pp.

bc

"John S. Denker" wrote:

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

I think that an introductoty physic teachers should make an
effort to include nuclear technology topics.

Yes, that would be nice.

One difficulty is
that a physics course is already overloaded and that adding
more chapters is counterproductive. The old dilemma of
depth versus breadth cannot be ignored

True.

and presenting
nuclear topics in dedicated chapters is not acceptable.

The key issue is not whether it is a dedicated chapter or not.
The key issue is whether it can be done without adding new

cut