Re: kinematics language

Let me suggest that one not get carried away with all this
'correct-speak' ESPECIALLY if teaching a conceptual course--either at
the HS level or to a Gen-Ed population at the college level. To get
across to these students, careful vector language and notation is not
going to do the trick and avoiding the vernacular won't be very
effective. For acceleration, it seems enough to consider whether an
object speeds up, slows down, or changes direction. The first two have
an implied one-dimensionality about them that can be made more explicit
by considering two dimensional (projectile-type) motion by separating
the horizontal and vertical motions--which should be OK with simple
motions [we had the discussion long ago about how a real bullet's
aerodynamic lift does couple the two.] With these limitations, then if
something speeds up, the acceleration is along the direction of motion,
and if something slows down, the acceleration is opposite the direction
of motion. When the direction is changing, then we have to look more
closely, but in the simple trajectory problem we model it with no change
in the horizontal speed while on the way up the object slows down and
while coming down the object speed up--implying that the object is
always accelerating downward. As I've posted before, throwing a ball
vertically up and later catching it, is a motion that can take half a
semester to fully analyze.

The point here is that if you are not teaching at the vector math level,
trying to be _too_ careful with language may be more confusing to
students since you can't fall back to the precise mathematical models
that might make it all clear.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics