Re: kinematics, traditional or not

Indeed in relativistic conditions, F=ma no longer holds.
You can patch things up by redefining F ... or by redefining
a. And in fact people really do redefine v and a! We redefine
v = (d/d tau) x (1)
a = (d/d tau) v
instead of
v ?= (d/d t) x (3)
a ?= (d/d t) v

and the relativistic momentum is p=mv using the v from
equation (1) not equation (3).

I was hoping to avoid relativity because I am not an expert and I'm not up
on current pedagogy, but...

If I say an electron has "a speed of 0.999c", I think I mean that the
electron will move a distance of 299,792,458*0.999 meters (by my
meterstick) in one second (by my watch). I don't see why I need to
redefine v. It seems I am still using v==dx/dt. Sure, someone in a
different frame will get a different answer, but that is true even in
Galilean transformations.

Certainly, F <> ma in the Newtonian sense. I would tend to look to F =
dp/dt. Then I would say that applying a force (say from a uniform E) to an
electron that becomes highly relativistic means:
Force is constant
speed approaches c
acceleration approaches 0 (since the speed mostly stops changing)
a = F/gamma*(rest mass)
momentum continues to increase linearly: dp = qE dt

Is this not a reasonable way to view things? I would keep the gamma
explicit, rather than bury it in either m or v or t.

Tim Folkerts

Department of Physics
Fort Hays State University
Hays, KS 67601