Re: creationism wars

There have been attempts to derail our discussion of evolution
by mixing in questions about the origin of the first living
thing.

1) This is not helpful. It is possible to discuss evolution,
as it occurs now and has been occurring for billions of years,
without needing to discuss what at earlier times.

2) The tactics of the anti-scientific contingent in this case
fit their usual pattern. They point out that science doesn't
have all the answers. They then commit the black/white fallacy,
implying that anyone who doesn't have all the answers has none
of the answers.

By admitting that we don't have all the answers, scientists
exhibit humility and open-mindedness. The anti-scientific
contingent mistakes this for weakness. But it is not weakness.
It is our strength.

In particular, while we don't have _all_ the answers, we do know
a thing or two. In particular, we have enough evidence to know
that the creationists, who claim to be right about everything,
are in fact wrong about almost everything.

3) As others have pointed out, these people are numerous, well
organized, and very dangerous. If you have trouble imagining what
happens when arrogant, intolerant, self-righteous fundamentalists
take control, remember what Afghanistan was like a year ago.
Picture setting back the spiritual as well as material culture
by hundreds of years, vicious militarism, degradation of women,
et cetera. It _could_ happen here.

[Yes, I am equating one brand of fundamentalism with another.
They look alike to me.]